Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Matariki

Tortara have been learning about Matariki and all the ways to celebrate Matariki.  
Matariki is the Maori new year even though it's in June. The Maori legend for Matariki is that the sky farther and the earth mother were tore apart by their child and the child tears are formed as Matariki. If you want see Matariki you will only find them at dawn. My class have been doing Matariki activities, my faouvrite activity was weaving. Weaving was my favourite because it trained my muscles and taught me more things to weave with flax. I connected some of learning from last year to help with my weaving.



2 comments:

  1. Your weaving looks awesome Joe...he ka rawe to harakeke...did you know that the maori new year is celebrated in June....which is during the same season as the northern hemisphere celebrate new year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI JOE... its Louisa from new Plymouth!! I hope to see you again soon p.s I like your work lots and lots!! :) :) :) BYE!!

    ReplyDelete